8CTF "Elgin Pin Piston Spl"
In 1938, freed from economic constraints thanks to the acquisition of Maserati by Adolfo Orsi, Ernesto Maserati designed the 8CTF to meet new international racing regulations which limited the displacement of compressed engines to 3 litres.
The 8 cyl in line of 3000 cm3 and its strong compressor of 365Ch, posed on a sophisticated chassis of 6CM allows a V max of…290 km/h !!!!
After Boyle's success in 1939, former Grand Prix driver Lucy O'Reilly Schell entered her two recently acquired Maserati 8CTFs in the 1940 Indianapolis 500 with French drivers René Le Bègue and René Dreyfus. The duo brought the car home in 10th place, 8 laps down. After the race the cars were sold to Lou Moore, who renamed them Elgin Piston Pin Specials and raced in the 1941 Indianapolis 500.