A6GCS #2040 Targa Florio 53
To succeed the Monofaro, Maserati produced the A6GCS/53 in 48 units between 1953 and 1955.
Gioacchino Colombo's 6-cylinder / 2-litre engine, alloy block (despite the G in the name), two overhead camshafts for 170 hp, bodywork by Fantuzzi, allowed this lightweight 2-seater barquette to travel at 235 km/h.
The #2040 was the very first A6GCS in the series. First owned by Emilio Giletti in 1953, who drove it 10 times in races, notably under the No. 525 at the Mille Miglia 53 where he finished 6th, helped by G Bertocchi, and under the No. 98 at the Targa Florio where he takes a nice 2nd place. Emmanuel de Graffenried, Benoit Musy Pietro Pagliarini will be the next owners with varying fortunes in the race including 3 victories, until 1956.
(source “A6GCS” by Walter Bäumer and Jean-François Blachette)